Thursday, May 27, 2010

Farewell function

No body knows how the system of ‘Farewell function’ for out going staff in offices originated, but every body knows that it is the best time for shedding crocodile tears and showering undue praises by certain staff members. How so ever congenial atmosphere prevail in offices, there would be some, who will be happy in their hearts over the exit of their boss or colleague.

It is these people who try to put all kinds of hurdles in arranging the farewell. Arranging a farewell in itself is a herculean task, especially when it comes to collecting the contribution for the function. The person taking the initiative has to listen to all kinds of comments and abuses like“Why should I pay so much when less was paid last time” or“What happened to excess collected last time, no body gave the expenditure break up” or“Even when I paid so much no body cared about me in the function”.

Then, there would be series of discussion, agreement and disagreements as to who will give the farewell speech, who will garland & hand over the bouquet, who will take the photos and who will arrange the snacks. The farewell speech would always be in praise of the outgoing person listing all his good qualities even if he has none and how every one in the office would miss him or her.

The whole process of farewell function is routine that others become restless if the function is delayed or prolonged. People start looking at the wall clock and eagerly wait for the function to come to an end so that they can grab the snacks and run home. After listening to the speech it would appear that the outgoing person is indispensable but the moment the function is over, people heave a sigh of relief as if they have bid a farewell to a monster! The atmosphere in the office comes to the normal next day as if no one is missing anybody.

5 comments:

  1. Well, i know the experience in you is talking here. Not all are monsters, at least I have been fortunate to have few if not all still in my contact list though our ways have parted. May be it is surprising that one of my prev manager called up just to know how I was doing and to congratulate me on the promotion!

    The world is too small in our generation and don't know if everyone feels the way you have mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately Mohan, you are in IT sector but such incidence are common in 'different Unions' infected public sector undertakings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comments received through Buzz:
    Padmanabha Vyasamoorthy - Valid and true observations. Farewell functions have become a necessary and unavoidable evil and a farce. I have attended sic farewell functions where I was the one who was bid farewell. Two turned out to be sour and four were pleasant. In IDL, my boss, while with many colleagues in a meeting discussing the arrangements to be made for my farewell, blurted out without realizing that I was also present, "Now, who is going to shed crocodile tears?". Well, that IS the reality and I was not rudely shocked when I went through the formality.
    PEDDADA RAMA MALLESWARA RAO - IT IS COMMON IN EVERY FAREWELL PARTIES AND ALL COMMENTS ARE TO BE RERECEIVED FOR THE ORGANISERS AND THE PERSONS ATTENDING THE FUNCTION WILL ENJOY WITH JOKES, FURTHER IT IS THE PERSON WHO SHOULD NOT COMMENT ON THE PARTY WHO RECEIVES FARE WELL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect observations. This is the scene every office. Nobody should belive in praises that were made during the farewell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I distinctly remember my Mom's send-off, she took voluntary retirement after 21 years of service to join my dad abroad. It was a pretty funny sight, mom with a huge garland and a huge gift precariously supported in her hand being dropped home by colleagues in an Ambassador car..:)I found it funny, but it was a huge emotional moment for Amma I know..In private sector companies like those I worked in, I remember getting a farewell from the India Today Group, but my last employer acted as if i didn't exist on the face of the earth. He was that upset with my resignation...

    ReplyDelete